Here, we address the most commonly asked questions about planning your visit to Flemington and the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
If you have any further questions, contact Customer Service on 1300 727 575.
- Where do I find all the information I need regarding the Melbourne Cup Carnival?
- Where can I find the race times and racing information?
- Where can I buy tickets? Can I buy tickets on the day?
- I’ve lost my ticket. What should I do?
- Where can I purchase a racebook on the day?
- Can I buy one prior to the racemeeting?
- What time do gates open and close on each day?
- What time do the restaurants and marquees open?
- What can I bring into Flemington?
- Why do I need a wristband?
- Can I leave the racecourse and come back in?
- What should I wear? Is there a dress code?
- Is there a cloakroom oncourse?
- Are there ATMs and EFTPOS facilities at Flemington?
- What food options are available?
- Where are the bars and what’s available at them?
- Where can I buy merchandise to remember my day at Flemington?
- Is there wifi at Flemington?
- Can I smoke cigarettes or cigars at Flemington, and where can I buy them oncourse?
- I have a family with small children. What is available for kids?
- I am in a wheelchair, have a disability or have trouble with mobility. Are there accessible entry points, facilities & seating available?
On the day, information staff will be dressed in yellow shirts and caps at all turnstiles and throughout the racecourse to answer your questions and provide assistance.
We recommend that you check our website before you arrive. The times are usually available approximately one month before each racemeeting. This will give you an idea about the standard of racing, the prize money and the times of each race. The races are grouped in order of importance: Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, listed and handicapped. The higher the rating of the race, the greater the prize money. Once you arrive, this information is also available in the racebook.
There are many different ways to obtain a ticket for the Melbourne Cup Carnival. Check the Tickets section of our website to find out what options are available, as well as prices and booking details.
The Melbourne Cup Carnival is a fully ticketed event so you must buy a ticket before you get to Flemington. We advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.
Replacement tickets may be issued at the Victoria Racing Club’s discretion.
Charges apply. VRC Enclosure ticketing: $25 a ticket; wristbands $60.
Racebooks are available from outlets situated at the main turnstiles, from two information booths located on course, and from racebook sellers. Racebook sellers are positioned at key locations across the course (all main gates, turnstile entrance points, train station and roving throughout the course).
Racebooks can be purchased the day prior from select newsagencies within the Melbourne CBD and from the Victoria Racing Club (VRC) offices.
Gates open at the following times:
- AAMI Victoria Derby Day - 8.30am
- Emirates Melbourne Cup Day - 8.30am
- Crown Oaks Day - 10.15am
- Emirates Stakes Day - 9.30am
Gates close shortly after the last race of the day. We ask that you leave the racecourse in a swift and quiet manner with consideration for our neighbours. If you have been drinking, please ensure that you have planned appropriate transportation or a designated driver to take you home.
The restaurants and marquees open one hour before the first race. You will need to have pre-booked your ticketing for these and can do so through our website.
What you can bring into Flemington depends on which areas your ticket allows you entry to. Make sure you read our Terms & Conditions carefully before arriving to Flemington.
No alcohol can be bought onto the course due to conditions on the caterer’s Liquor Licence. Alcohol can be purchased in all dining facilities and at retail bar outlets located in both the Members and public areas of the racecourse. Bag checks will be conducted by security at points of entry.
Anything that is considered dangerous including glasswear and knives will also not be permitted.
Proof-of-age wristbands will be required for all people purchasing alcohol. Wristbanding marquees will be located at turnstile and bar entry points. Proof-of-age ID must be presented. Patrons must be 18 years of age or older to purchase alcohol. Alcohol must not be purchased on behalf of underage patrons.
Access to Corporate Enclosures/Marquees will only be granted to those guests wearing the applicable wristband for that area.
Yes you can, but make sure you get a Pass Out at the turnstile before leaving the course.
This is possibly the most important question of the Melbourne Cup Carnival! We highly recommend that you take a look at the fashion and style section of the website for inspiration. There are also recommended designers and milliners on our website to assist you in preparing for the big event.
Members and visitors to Members’ areas must abide by the dress regulations as outlined on the Victoria Racing Club’s website.
We recommend that all who attend Flemington use these dress regulations as a guideline.
Public and Members' cloakrooms are available for cloaking of items on all four racedays. There is no charge for this service.
- Northeast corner of Betting Ring
- Hill Stand Level 1
- Terrace Restaurant
- Committee Room (Committee Guests only)
- The Grandstand, Forum Level, east end, opposite lifts
- The Grandstand, Forum level, west end, opposite escalators Chairman’s Club (Guests only)
- Ground Floor, Old Members’ Stand (Ladies and Gentlemen)
- Ground Floor, Old Members’ Stand (Ladies Rest Room)
- First Floor Members’ Stand (Ladies Rest Room)
Make sure that you collect your cloaked items at the conclusion of the raceday. Unclaimed items will be available for collection between 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday, or on racedays. Unclaimed items will be stored for a period of 30 days only after which time they will be discarded. Contact Customer Service on 1300 727 575 with any queries.
Machines are located at various locations on course for both the public and Members.
- Outside Visitors Centre, Betting Ring East (Eftpos)
- Grandstand Ground (Eftpos)
- Tabaret Foyer (ATM)
- Tabaret – no cash given using credit (Eftpos)
- Hill Stand 1st Floor (Eftpos)
- Outside The Banks at Ascot Fence Line (Eftpos)
- Outside Elms Trackside Fence (Eftpos)
- Rotunda, Nursery Enclosure Car Park (Eftpos)
- Birdcage Enclosure (Eftpos)
- The Grandstand Forum (Level 1) East (ATM)
- The Grandstand Forum (Level 1) West (ATM)
- The Grandstand View (Level 4) West (ATM)
- Tote Windows, opposite Champagne Bar (Eftpos)
- Members Car Park, outside Phar Lap Marquee (Eftpos)
There are a wide number of places to eat and drink at the racecourse, ranging from an a la carte meal to a burger, sushi and noodles to Greek wraps and strawberries and cream. Check our map for locations of all food options available on course.
Afternoon tea is also very popular at the racecourse. We have many restaurants and entertaining options available but make sure you book in advance to avoid disappointment.
There are numerous retail bar outlets on course serving a selection of premier beer, wine, spirits, champagne for both the public and Members. View our maps for more information on where each bar is located.
Merchandise outlets will be operating through the racecourse during all four racedays of the Carnival. Alternatively, you can purchase online from the Flemington Shop before you arrive or after attending Melbourne Cup Carnival.
The VRC is investing in a wifi upgrade for next year but currently there is no wifi on-course.
Smoking is not permitted within occupied building areas, in all indoor areas, including all marquees. Cigarette and cigar sales are available from:
- Betting Ring Central – Bernborough Club Bar
- Tabarat Gaming Area
- Hill Stand Level 1 – Hill Bar A
- Undercroft Central
- The Grandstand Forum – Forum Bar
- Old Members Ground Floor – Long Bar
Children are welcome at Flemington Racecourse and to the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
At the end of the Undercroft, opposite the winning post, is a family area with craft and outdoor activities, and pony rides. There is also an alcohol-free zone near the Mounting Yard, via the Public Lawn.
Baby change and feeding facilities are available in both the public and Members’ areas. View our maps for locations.
- Feeding area and Ladies toilet at eastern end of betting ring.
- Baby Change Facilities and Ladies toilet, at western end of Main Betting Ring.
- Baby Change Facilities, 1st floor Hill Stand (Parents Room)
- Ladies’ toilets, Ground Floor Members’ Stand East near Members’ Dining Room.
- The Grandstand Forum Level, Level 1, Western Foyer
We have a specialised guide available for patrons visiting Flemington with a disability:
For those with trouble with mobility, there are numerous access points for parking, viewing areas and toilets to ensure that you can enjoy your day at Flemington:
- Centre carpark ($20). Enter at Stables Drive, off Smithfield Road.
- Front row of VIP area, off Leonard Crescent carpark (limited spaces).
- VRC Members with rank ¾ car pass in the Members’ Unreserved Carpark (limited spaces)
- Below the western end of the Lawn Stand, just past the Winning Post, and below the eastern end of the stand.
- The Grandstand: back row of glazed seating (Members only)
- Public: west end of Undercroft, east of betting ring, Elms and Hill precincts
- Members: Members Stand, the Grandstand (levels 1-5), the Nursery, Rails, Birdcage, and the Domain
If you have any other queries in regards to accessibility, contact Customer Service on 1300 727 575.