Flemington results & statistics
Flemington Racecourse, previously Melbourne Racecourse, remains the oldest continuing metropolitan racecourse in Australia and has hosted racing events every year since 1840.
For more historical information on general facts and statistics at Flemington:
Since the running of the first Melbourne Cup in 1861, Flemington Racecourse has undergone many major construction and upgrade projects. There are now three big grandstands at Flemington, dating from 1924, 1978 and 2001.
In 1873, a new grandstand was opened to the public and Members of the racing club and part of the original building foundations still exist to this day. The first Birdcage (day stabling area) was created in 1887 and remained in its original position until 1923, when it was relocated to its current position during a major construction project. This project also included a new Members’ grandstand and a new Mounting Yard.
In 1955, five years before the centenary of the Melbourne Cup, another construction project costing a million pounds was underway. The Lawn Stand was established with seating for racegoers and included a cafeteria.
Grandstand projects continued in 1978–79 with the building of the multistorey Hill Stand situated opposite the winning post; in 1985 the Link Stand and, on top of it, in 2000 a new Members’ Grandstand was built costing $46 million. The five-tiered Grandstand has seating for 6900 Members and a glass front for uninterrupted views of the track.