Hall of Fame inductees
The Australian Racing Hall of Fame was first introduced in 2001 to honour outstanding performances in racing. Since then, a number of key racing personalities and horses have been inducted.
The following Hall of Fame inductees relate directly to Melbourne Cup victories:
Horses inducted to the Hall of Fame
- Phar Lap (1930)
- Carbine (1890)
- Comic Court (1950)
- Galilee (1966)
- Grand Flaneur (1890)
- Makybe Diva (2003, 2004 & 2005)
- Malua (1884)
- Might and Power (1997)
- Peter Pan (1932 & 34)
- Poseidon (1906)
- Rising Fast (1954)
- The Barb (1866)
Jockeys inducted to the Hall of Fame
- Tom Hales (1890)
- Roy Higgins (1965 & 1967)
- Darby Munro (1934, 1944 & 1946)
- Billy Cook (1941)
- Bill Duncan (1918 & 1932)
- Bill Williamson (1952)
- Bobby Lewis (1900, 1915, 1919 & 1927)
- Damien Oliver (1995 & 2002)
- Darren Beadman (1990 & 1996)
- Frank Bullock (1905)
- Harry White (1974, 1975, 1978 & 1979)
- Jack Purtell (1947, 1953 & 1954)
- Jim Johnson (1963, 1968 & 1969)
- Jim Pike (1930)
- John Letts (1972 & 1980)
- Mick Dittman (1982)
- Neville Sellwood (1951 & 1955)
- Pat Glennon (1950 & 1959)
Trainers inducted to the Hall of Fame
- Bart Cummings AM (1965, 1966, 1967, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999 & 2008)
- Colin Hayes AM OBE (1980 & 1986)
- Jack Holt (1933)
- James Scobie (1900, 1922, 1923 & 1927)
- TJ Smith (1955 & 1981)
- David Hayes (1994)
- Etienne de Mestre (1861, 1962, 1967, 1977 & 1978)
- Frank McGrath (1909, 1932 & 1934)
- Geoff Murphy (1982)
- George Hanlon (1972, 1978 & 1984)
- Jack Denham (1997)
- Jack Green (1958)
The selection panel for the Australian Racing Hall of Fame is made up of ten individuals who represent the thoroughbred industry.
Their knowledge of racing is highly regarded and they are respected individually by their peers within the thoroughbred industry.
The panel will consist of state representatives of members of the Australian Racing Museum, the parent body for the Australian Racing Hall of Fame. These representatives shall be invited as panelists by the Chairman of the Selection Panel.
- Nominations are received by the Australian Racing Hall of Fame administration prior to the year of induction.
- These nominations are forwarded to the selection panel. They are reviewed with other nominations included by the panel. The panel reserves the right to include or exclude any nomination.
- The selection panel meet once to determine the ‘List of Nominations'.
- The selection panel meet a second time prior to the induction ceremony and lists its selections in each category, from the nomination list, in order of preference.
- The final selections are then decided by the selection panel and these will form the induction list.
- In the event that there is a dispute on the merit or otherwise of any one of the proposed inductees, the matter shall be called to a secret vote, over which the panel chairman shall have a casting vote, if necessary, in addition to his or her own vote.
For more historical information on the Hall of Fame inductees:
- visit our Flemington Heritage Centre.