Pin & Win
Pin & Win is the major annual fundraising activity conducted by the Victoria Racing Club as part of the Melbourne Cup Community Program.
For almost two decades, Pin & Win has been the major charitable activity associated with the Melbourne Cup Carnival, with proceeds donated to a selected charity partner.
2014 Melbourne Cup Carnival charity partner
We will make an announcement regarding the appointment of our charity partner in early 2014.
2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival charity partner
We are now inviting applications for the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival Pin & Win partnership.
- Highly sought after exclusive fundraising opportunity
- Leverage the iconic status of Flemington and the Emirates Melbourne Cup to broaden your charity’s brand awareness
- Priority given to well-resourced national charities based in Melbourne
About Pin & Win
Pin & Win involves appointing a contracted charity to sell Emirates Melbourne Cup lapel pins before and during the Melbourne Cup Carnival. Purchasers are eligible to enter a prize draw to win one of a range of prizes provided by the VRC. In 2013 the prize pool was valued at over $157,000 and SecondBite raised more than $537,000 through their campaign, which included a national retail partnership.
The successful charity will be required to meet the following minimum commitments:
- Purchase from the VRC an agreed quantity of pins to be sold during the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival and associated events (quantities to be set once sales strategy agreed upon, unit cost varies depending on quantity);
- Provide full-time staff resources (minimum 3 staff) to oversee planning, execution and promotion in conjunction with the VRC for at least six months prior to the on-sale date;
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers for 600+ shifts; and
- Initiate activities designed to expand the reach of Pin & Win beyond the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
Frequently asked questions
Q: How will the charity partner be selected?
A: Interested charities will be provided with an application form which directly references the selection critiera. A selection panel will assess applications along with any relevant supporting documentation against the selection crtieria and with regard to the VRC Charity Charter. Shortlisted charities will be interviewed.
Q: Will the successful charity be required to source the pins and run the Pin & Win competition?
A: No. The VRC manages the production of pins as well as all advertising and promotions, competition permits and prize draws on behalf of the charity.
Q: Will the charity be required to source the prizes for the competition?
A: No. The VRC will secure the prizes for the competition.
Q: Will the charity be responsible for marketing and promotions?
A: The VRC will manage the creative process for all official Pin & Win promotions and advertising and will include logo acknowledgement of the charity partner in all executions. In addition, the charity will be expected to promote Pin & Win - and maximise sales - through its own networks wherever possible.
Q: What roles do the three staff play (as mentioned as a minimum above)?
A: Based on previous project models, the roles would likely consist of: 1 x Project Manager, 1 x Volunteer Manager, 1 x PR/Media Manager.
Q: What resources will be made available to the charity partner to coordinate the program?
A: A VRC representative will work directly with the charity on all aspects of the program. Guidelines provided by previous charities will also be supplied as reference material. The VRC will supply an operating base at Flemington during the Melbourne Cup Carnival, including catering and a seller's cap and apron for each volunteer, accreditation to access Flemington, and a number of other services to facilitate the running of the program.
Q: How quickly will a decision be made after applications close?
Shortlisted charities will be contacted in late March to attend an interview with the VRC selection committee. Our expectation is that a contract offer will be made to the successful charity in April/May 2014. All applicants will be notified of the outcome.
How to apply
For any enquiries about the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival partnership:
- Contact Belinda Meyers by email to register your interest.
- An application form which includes the selection criteria will be provided.
For any other enquiries about Pin & Win:
- Contact Customer Service on 1300 727 575.